birmingham heartlands hospital

Background

Birmingham Heartlands Hospital has developed incrementally from its origins as a fever hospital and sanatorium on the outskirts of Birmingham, Little Bromwich Hospital.

As East Birmingham District General Hospital it acquired the Marston Green Maternity Hospital and thence became the first acute Trust in Birmingham in 1992. In the following year it merged with nearby Yardley Green Hospital, acquiring also the Birmingham Chest Clinic in the city centre. Subsequently in 1995 the Trust supported Solihull District General Hospital and a year later became the merged Trust of Birmingham Heartlands and Solihull NHS (Teaching) in 1996. In April 2005, the Trust achieved Foundation status.

The hospitals have national and regional clinical services on site as well as secondary care, emergency and elective practice.

Description

As a smaller project for Ecolite, a partial retrofit of lighting was made at Birmingham Heartlands over a 7 week period. Many of the older departments received a full lighting retrofit. Included were pathology, regional immunology, X-ray, Out Patients and Physical Medicine. Due to the sensitive nature of some of these areas this project was undertaken working entirely on a night shift pattern, demonstrating Ecolite's flexibility and commitment to cause least disruption to staff and patient services.

Services

  • Audit and survey
  • Project management
  • Customised fitting manufacture
  • Installation
  • Waste disposal and recycling

Summary

  • 1100 fittings installed or upgraded
  • 37kW saving on electricity base load
  • Under 4 year payback
  • Reduction of 139 tonnes CO2 emissions per year